Before making a referral
Essential considerations before beginning the pathway
For professionals beginning the pathway, please ensure you can answer ‘yes’ to each of the following points before making a referral into the pathway:
- I have read the guidance notes contained in the pathway document.
- I have checked that the child or young person is registered with a Nottingham City GP.
- I have considered safeguarding needs of children and young people.
- I have checked whether a Common Assessment Framework (CAF) is in place (this can be checked with CAF central records) and raised a CAF where appropriate, or there is evidence of multi-agency meetings.
- I have appropriate consent.
- I have considered any other health needs that may need to be addressed.
- If the child or young person is of school age or below I have discussed initiating the pathway with the school nurse or health visitor (or family nurse if in place). They will make sure the pathway is documented on the child’s clinical records.
- If the young person is aged 19 to 24 with special education needs, I am aware that further discussions should be held with the Children’s & Young People’s Behavioural and Emotional Health Team (CYP BEH Team).
- I will access additional information and resources for each point of the pathway by following the links throughout this site (or if viewing a hard copy, by referring to the appendix).
- I have notified the child or young person and their parents/carers that their information will be stored on information systems at Nottingham City Council and Nottingham CityCare Partnership.